Well, yes, He does know how important that is? But that perspective is flawed. And trust me, I know it's flawed and yet more often than not, I take that very advice.
You see, those things are important. But remember what the Lord told me in December (and has to keep reminding me...)? (i)"You must not allow anything to make you content at the expense of finding contentedness in Me." Nothing in the world, seemingly good or bad, should fulfill us at even a slight expense of less fulfillment in Christ.
So if by spending time with wonderful friends or by catching up on sleep I am neglecting fulfillment of my responsibilities in Christ, then my perspective has gone awry.
You should read all of Psalm 96, but I'm only going to quote bits and pieces of it. It's not that long. Just look it up and read it all.
"Sing to the Lord; praise His name. Each day proclaim the good news that He saves. Publish His glorious deeds among the nations. Tell everyone about the amazing things He does."
Psalm 96:2-3
As I was reading that in my personal Bible Study time, the Lord, through the Holy Spirit renewed a passion in me. This I know was not of myself because I've spent the last several weeks trying to renew this passion in my by my own strength; it didn't work.
Anyway, this is what I'm getting at: "Each day proclaim the good news that He saves...Tell everyone about the amazing things He does." How often do you hear people, after asking them how they're doing, complain, "Oh, I just have so much to do! I have all this crap that my freakin' profs give; they think there class is the only one I have." And so on and so forth. Or, "I'm so tired. Things pretty much suck right now."
How often do you do that? I do. All the time. Anytime in the last few weeks, if you had asked me how I am, I would have complained about my exhaustion. I was, in fact, exhausted and stressed.
I'm not advocating lying to yourself of others about that. I'm asking us (me included) to reconsider what's most important? Our problems? Or the Lord's goodness? We know He's good (at least, we should). So where's our focus? Where's our perspective?
This is what the Lord's saying on this issue: If we would only just focus on Him and His goodness, regardless of our challenging circumstances (and believe me, we have it easy!) our problems would certainly be dimmed in light of His goodness.
You see, we need an eternal perspective! We get so caught up in the here and the now! Yes, live one day at a time! Don't worry about tomorrow. I know this! (Matthew 6:25-34; Luke 12:22) I'm not arguing something different. I'm telling you that an eternal perspective is the only way to do this.
What is an eternal perspective? Think about the consummation of history. An amazing man and good friend of our family once told me, "As you study more history, remember that all history is moving toward the consummation of His Kingdom. Representative of all peoples will one day worship at the feet of the Lamb. Whatever accomplishment man may achieve are meant to reveal the glory of the Holy One."
That's an eternal perspective! That's what gets me pumped! Seeing representatives of allpeoples worshiping the Lamb! That's what's giving me goose bumps of excitement right now.
So what the heck are we doing wallowing in our self-misery? Even if things aren't that bad, don't we have such a problem of focusing on ourselves. Even when things are good, don't we focus on those little inconveniences? The Lord is to be our whole, complete fulfillment. Doing His will is to be our primary passion. If it is, then it naturally flows out of us. No longer do we respond, "I'm good," when people ask how we are. Rather, we respond, "God is good!"
This is eternal perspective:
"He is coming to judge the earth. He will judge the world with justice, and the nations with His truth.
Psalm 96:13
"I will not judge those who hear Me but don't obey Me, for I have come to save the world and not to judge it. But all who reject Me and My message will e judged on the day of judgment by the truth I have spoken."
John 13:47-48
"When everything is ready, I will come and get you, so that you will always be with me where I am."
John 14:3
"Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
John 16:33
"Remember, we will all stand before the judgment seat of God. For the Scriptures say, 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bend to Me, and every tongue confess and give praise to God.' yes, each of us will give a personal account to God. So let's stop condemning each other. Decide instead to live in such a way that you will not cause another believer to stumble and fall."
Romans 14:10-13
So I conclude by restating two main things:
First, when we live by the eternal perspective that God has saved us and that we ought to liveentirely for Him, pursuing our relationship with Him is the most fulfilling thing, and this flows out into our attitudes and gives us a passion for pursuing what He's passionate about. That's where we find true rest.
And second, when this is our attitude and passion, we naturally cannot help but proclaim His goodness to others all the time. We need to be! Yes, we'll all give an account. Does it not bother us that many who we meat will be told to get away and sent to hell? Doe that not weight heavy on our conscience? Where's our passion for those who do not know Christ?
That's all I have to say for now. True to my nature, I've been redundant. But I hope you've also been moved in by the Holy Spirit to get out of your narrow-minded self-centered focus and look at things with Chri
No comments:
Post a Comment